Prep time: 45 min.
Last min. prep + cook time: 1 hour
- 2 medium onions
- 1 qt. + 1 pint enchilada sauce (or about 48 ounces)
- 1 tsp. chili powder + 1 tsp. ground cumin + 1/2 tsp. salt
- 16 corn tortillas
- salsa, for serving
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
Pull out same day:
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 3 cups grated cheese of choice (cheddar-jack is our fave)
- sour cream, for serving
- In a small bowl add the cumin, chili powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Place the chicken breasts on a plate and season both sides with the seasoning mixture.
- Heat 1/4 cup cooking oil in a skillet. Add chicken breasts and cook 4-5 minutes per side, or until done. Remove chicken to a fresh plate and let cool.
- While the chicken is cooking grate your cheese.
- Dice onion and add to the skillet. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until brown, but being careful not to burn them. Remove the onions to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the enchilada sauce to the skillet.
- Whisk and let heat up.
- Meanwhile, in a separate skillet (or just over your stove burner), use tongs to lightly brown each side of the 16 corn tortillas. Place them on a plate as you do each one.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Pour 2 cups of the sauce into a 9×13 dish.
- Quickly dip each tortilla into the sauce left in the skillet. Lay on a baking sheet to assemble.
- Add some chicken, grated cheese, and browned onion. Roll it tightly. Place it in the 9×13 pan, seam-side down. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas and fillings.
- Pour the rest of the sauce over the top. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top next.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.
1 hour before you plan to serve dinner:
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Remove the enchilada dish from the fridge and set aside.
- Uncover the dish and place in the preheated oven. Cook 40-45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Make any sides you’d like. I like to heat up some corn with this meal.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes to firm before serving.
- Serve enchiladas with optional sour cream and salsa. Enjoy!