- To make this meal even quicker, use pre-made breadsticks.
- Breadsticks freeze well, but don’t cook until brown. Leave them slightly undercooked. Flash free on a baking sheet and then add to a freezer safe bag or container. To make, bake in a preheated oven at 400 F until slightly brown and heated through. Then top with butter and garlic salt.
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 4 cups canned kidney beans
- 4 cups canned garbanzo beans
- 1 cup uncooked macaroni noodles
Pull out same day:
- 4 carrots
- 2 cups fresh, frozen, or freeze-dried zucchini squash
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 2 oz. frozen spinach
- olive oil
- stick of butter
- garlic salt
- parmesan cheese, for serving
Prep Directions (start 1 hour before you plan to eat):
- If making breadsticks: To a large bowl add: 1 cup warm water, 2 1/2 tsp. yeast, and 2 T sugar. Whisk to dissolve.
- Add in 1 tsp. salt and 2 3/4 cup flour. Use a wooden spoon or dough hook to combine.
- Dump the dough onto a floured surface. Knead for 2-3 minutes. Lightly flour the bowl and return the dough ball. Cover and let rise in a warm place.
- To make soup: Remove spinach from freezer and set aside. Peel and chop onion. Peel and mince garlic. Add onion, garlic, and a splash of olive oil to the bottom of a large pot.
- Saute the veggies on med. until softened.
- Add broth, carrots, zucchini, tomatoes, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, macaroni, salt, and oregano. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- While the soup simmers, finish the breadsticks: Preheat oven to 400 F. Roll the ball of dough out onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet into a rectangle.
- Take a pizza cutter to cut the rectangle in half length-wise, and then into strips, creating two rows of breadsticks.
- Cover with a towel and let rise 10 while you finish the soup.
- Break apart frozen spinach and add to the soup. Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat. Let stand 10-15 minutes.
- While the soup is cooling, cook the breadsticks in the 400 F oven for 10 minutes or until they start to brown.
- Remove from oven. Rub the top of the breadsticks with a stick of butter. Sprinkle garlic salt across the tops.
- Garnish soup with grated parmesan cheese and serve with breadsticks. Enjoy!