Yield: 8-10 servings
Prep time: 30 minutes + 7 hours in slow cooker
Last minutes prep time: 40 minutes
- 1 lb. dried navy or great northern beans
- 1 med. onion
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 lb. bacon or meaty ham bone
Pull out same day:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. liquid smoke
Night before prep directions:
Place the beans in enough water to cover and let soak overnight.
Same-day prep directions:
- Drain the bean and them to the slow cooker.
- Peel and chop the onion. Add to the slow cooker.
- Add brown sugar, molasses, 2-1/2 cups water, liquid smoke, salt, and pepper. Add the ham bone, if using.
- If using bacon, use chicken shears to cut it into 1-inch pieces. Add to the slow cooker.
- Mix until well combined.
- Cover and cook on “low” setting 7 hours or until beans are tender.
- In a small bowl combine tomato sauce, ketchup, and BBQ sauce until well blended. Cover and refrigerate
40 minutes before you plan to eat:
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Remove sauce from fridge and pour into slow cooker. Stir until well combined. Return lid and let cook 30 minutes more.
- Remove cornbread from fridge. Bake in preheated oven 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Let cool 5 minutes before slicing. Drizzle with honey or butter to serve.
- Beans are done when tender.
- Need to speed up cooking the beans? Cook in the slow cooker according to directions for as long as you have. To finish, transfer to an Instant Pot and cook on high until tender. As a starting point, it will take about 35 minutes for completely uncooked beans. Adjust the time accordingly.
- Serve baked beans alongside cornbread and enjoy!