- If you have time to prep in the morning, make the rice ahead of time and refrigerate, covered. This just means there is one less step to do later.
- Optionally, add other veggies like broccoli or cauliflower.
- 1 cup apricot all-fruit jam
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups pineapple chunks
- 3 large chicken breasts
Pull out same day:
- 1 T cooking oil
- 1 red bell peppers (or 1 cup frozen diced)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (or 1 cup frozen diced)
- 4 T soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 T cornstarch
Prep Directions (start 30 minutes before you plan to eat):
- Cook your rice first. Since we are using our IP for the chicken, let’s do it on the stove. I do 2 cups rice and 3 cups water. Add your rice and water in these proportions to a medium pot.
- Turn to high heat and bring to a strong simmer. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and turn to low or med-low depending on your stove.
- Let cook for 13 minutes (less for less rice). Set a timer!
- While the rice cooks, chop chicken breasts into 1″ cubes and set aside.
- Peel and dice onion. Peel and mince garlic. Trim and dice peppers if using fresh.
- When the timer on the rice goes off, turn off the heat and remove the lid. Let sit 5 minutes. Then fluff with a fork.
- Heat oil in instant pot on “Saute” function.
- Add chicken and brown slightly on all sides.
- Add: apricot jam, onion, garlic, peppers, pineapple, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar.
- Stir to combine.
- Close IP and turn knob to sealing.
- Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes, then do a quick release.
- Turn back to “saute.” In a small bowl mix cornstarch with 2 T water until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the IP. Stir while it comes to a boil. As soon as it thickens, turn off the heat and remove the pot from the IP to serve.
- Serve sweet and sour chicken and sauce over rice.