Don’t have Italian seasoning on hand? You can make your own! Mix together: 2 T dried basil, 2 T dried oregano, 1 T dried rosemary, 2 T dried parsley, 1 T dried thyme, t tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. dried marjoram, 1 tsp. dried sage. Place in an airtight container to store.
Also, this recipe will give directions for making noodles to serve the chicken parmesan over but feel free to substitute your starch of choice.
Yield: 8-10 serving
Prep + Cook time: 30 min. + 6 hrs. in slow cooker
Last minute prep time: 30 min.
- 1 lb. spaghetti noodles
- 32 oz. marinara sauce
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs + 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 4-5 large chicken breasts (adjust for your family and the size of your slow cooker. They should fit in a single layer.)
Pull out same day:
- 2 lg. eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 T avocado (or cooking) oil
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Grease your slow cooker and pour in the marinara sauce.
- In a wide bowl or pie pan, whisk together eggs and milk. Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper and whisk again.
- In another wide bowl or pie pan, add bread crumbs and Italian seasoning. Whisk to combine.
- Heat cooking oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- After the oil is hot, begin your assembly line. Dip chicken breasts one at a time in the milk mixture, then in the breadcrumb mixture, being sure to coat both sides well. Then, place them in the hot skillet.
- Turn to brown both sides. The goal is NOT to cook them, but just to brown. After both sides are nicely browned, lay them in a single layer in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on “low” 5-6 hours or until chicken has reached 165 F.
- Shred mozzarella cheese, if needed, and place in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
30 minutes before you plan to serve dinner
Cook spaghetti noodles in a large pot of water according to package directions or until al dente. Drain. Add a T of butter and stir until melted and mixed in well.
10 minutes before you are ready to serve dinner
Sprinkle the tops of each chicken breast with both mozzarella cheese and Parmesan. Return lid and continue cooking until the cheese is melted.