Slow cooker recipes are a favorite of mine, but sometimes they can all start to taste…. the same. If you are looking for something that is both a little different, but still kid-friendly, this slow cooker coconut curry shrimp recipe will not disappoint!
This dish is best served over some basmati rice, which can easily be cooked in an Instant Pot. Need a quick run-down on how to do that? Just add 1 part rinsed rice to 1 part water, a dash of salt, and hit the “rice” button on your Instant Pot! So easy!
Need this meal done in a hurry? You can make this in the Instant Pot! Just follow the prep instructions and instead of using the slow cooker setting, cook at high pressure for 5 minutes + 10 minute natural release.
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 lg. onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2/3 cup tomato paste (1 can)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 large chicken breasts
Pull out same day:
- 1 red bell pepper or 1 cup frozen or dried bell pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 T curry powder
- 1 T Garam Masala (Indian spice mix)
- 1 1/2 T cornstarch
- Optional: cayenne pepper
- Chop chicken into 1″ cubes and place in the slow cooker. Optionally, you can lightly brown the chicken cubes and chopped onion in 1 T butter or coconut oil. This will add extra flavor.
- Chop the onion and add it to the slow cooker.
- Peel and chop the garlic
- Wash, deseed, and chop the pepper.
- To a food processor or blender add: garlic, pepper, tomato paste, coconut milk, salt, curry powder, and Garam Masala. Want a little spice? Add cayenne pepper to taste. If you are making this for the first time, start with a 1/4-1/2 tsp.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken and onion. Cover and cook on “low” for 6 hours.
When there is 1 hour left on the slow cooker…
- Mix together 2 T water and 1-1/2 T cornstarch until the cornstarch is completely dissolved. Add the mixture to the chicken curry sauce and mix well. Place the lid on for the rest of the cooking time.
- If you won’t be ready to eat when the time is up, make sure it gets switched to “keep warm” so that it doesn’t overcook.
- Serve over rice and enjoy!