This meal is so convenient to make in the slow cooker! I’ve also included the directions to make mashed potatoes alongside the meatloaf. And the best part? It’s all prepped in the morning for a stress-free evening.
Prep time: 1 hour
Last minute prep + cook time: 45 minutes
- 1 sm. onion
- 2/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs or 2 cups soft bread crumbs + 2 tsp. parsley + 1/2 tsp. dried oregano + 1 tsp. salt + 1/8 tsp. ground pepper
- 5 lbs. russet potatoes (Yukon Gold will work too)
- 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt + 1/2 tsp. onion powder + 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 lbs. ground beef
Pull out same day:
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 12 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream (adjust to your preferred consistency)
- salt and pepper
- Dice onion and set aside.
- To a large bowl add the 2 eggs. Beat slightly.
- To the bowl add: bread crumbs and seasonings, ground meat, and milk. Mix well to combine.
- Will a loaf pan fit in your slow cooker? If yes, spray the pan with cooking oil and add the meat mixture. Pat down and flatten the top with a spoon. Place the pan in the slow cooker and cover. If no, line your slow cooker with parchment paper. Add the meat mixture and pat down. Cover.
- Cook on “low” setting for 5-6 hours. Internal temperature should read 160 F when done.
Recipe note: Need your meatloaf done quicker? Pop the loaf pan into a 350 F oven for 1 hour 15 minutes or until cooked through.
To Prep Mashed Potatoes:
- Start by heating a large pot of water over medium heat. Then peel the potatoes, rinse in cold water, and quarter.
- Add the potatoes to the pot. Don’t do this as you peel. They need to go in the pot at the same time.
- Increase the heat to high and bring to a full boil. Cook for 25 – 30 minutes, or until you notice the potatoes starting to crumble in the water (not a lot, you’ll just see that the water is no longer perfectly clear) and a fork can easily poke through the potatoes. Don’t undercook or you’ll have lumpy potatoes!
- Pour off the water. Don’t strain in a colander because you want a bit of that potato water to remain. Just pour off what you can. There should be about 1/4 liquid left in the bottom.
- Add in the softened butter. Using a hand mixer (my preference) or stand mixer with the whisk attachment, blend on medium speed.
- Add in the cream cheese and sour cream. Blend well.
- Add in the seasonings, adjusting to taste. Blend well.
- Do your potatoes need to be thinner or fluffier? Add in heavy whipping cream, a tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Scoop the potatoes into a large baking dish and distribute evenly. Cover with foil and refrigerate.
45 minutes before you plan to serve dinner
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Remove the potatoes from the fridge and place in the preheated oven. Cook just until heated through, about 25-30 minutes.
- To a small bowl add the ketchup, brown sugar, and ground mustard. Mix well.
- Spread the mixture on top of the meatloaf. Return the lid and continue to heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the meatloaf from the slow cooker and let rest 10-15 minutes. If you skip this step it won’t slice well!
- Serve meatloaf with mashed potatoes and enjoy!