Serves: 6 adults
Prep time: 30 min.+ 6 hrs. in slow cooker
Last minute prep + cook time: 25 minutes
- I have an 8 qt. slow cooker and this recipe works well in it. If you double it, you can use a large roaster pan. If you half it, you should use a 4-6 qt. slow cooker.
- This recipe can be made gluten-free using gf breadcrumbs, 1:1 gf flour, and gf egg noodles. To make it dairy-free, substitute the milk and cream for equal amounts of dairy alternative milk (we like coconut).
- If your squash won’t fit in your slow cooker, you can cook it separately in the oven. Simply pierce and bake on a baking sheet for 30-45 min. at 425 F. until fork tender.
- 1 quart + 1 pint marinara sauce
- 1 lg. or two small spaghetti squash (they need to fit in your slow cooker or roaster)
- 2 lbs. ground beef or venison
- Brown the meat slightly in a skillet over medium heat. Don’t cook through.
- Mix the marinara sauce in with the meat until well combined. Set aside.
- Wash the squash well. Then, poke several holes in each one on all sides.
- Pour just enough of the sauce in the bottom of the slow cooker to cover the bottom.
- Place the squash in the slow cooker.
- Pour the rest of the sauce/meat mixture over the squash.
- Cook on “low” setting for 6 hours or . If using a 4-quart slow cooker, set for 8 hours. If using a roaster pan, set to 200 F and set a timer for 6 hours.
- When the timer goes off, check to see if a fork easily sleeps into the squash skin. If it does, remove the squash to a plate and set aside to cool slightly for 10-15 minutes. If not, continue to cook for another hour.
- If it will be more than 30 minutes until you serve dinner, slice open the squash, remove the seeds, and shred the flesh with a fork. Transfer the squash “spaghetti noodles” to an oven-safe bowl. Mix in butter and seasonings to taste. Place in the oven on “keep warm” until ready to serve.
10 minutes before you plan to serve dinner:
- If you haven’t already, follow the directions above for prepping the squash.
- Serve the “spaghetti noodles” with sauce from the slow cooker.